Sunday, September 12, 2010

Recipe Time

We have been trying to use up zucchini from the garden this week, and I have been craving muffins so I discovered this recipe on allrecipes.com. Love them. I've made several batches this week alone. You should double the recipe if you make them because they are so good they go way too fast with just a single batch.

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

  1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, milk, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done.
Alterations: I do half oil and half applesauce to cut down the fat. Also, I add more zucchini, probably 1/3 to 1/2 cup more. I don't add the nuts because I don't like them. I used regular chocolate chips and they were fine--I just used more. But mini chocolate chips would be easier to distribute evenly and would go further. And lastly and most importantly, I add a generous teaspoon of nutmeg.

Also, to cut the sugar, I didn't add chocolate chips one time and they were great without them. I did this for Katie's benenfit because she has huge sugar crashes, but for me and Justin, I add plenty of chocolate chips.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Sounds tasty. We have a giant zucchini that needs using up. I'm excited to try these muffins. Thanks for sharing.

April said...

This recipe is going in my to-do list. Sounds delicious. I need to get going and start sharing a few recipes on chick chat. I like that idea.

The Brunson Family said...

I am sorry we didn't get to visit. My girts got sick too! In fact they are going on their second round of the flu right now. I hope you guys are doing well. Miss ya!!