Wednesday, June 8, 2016

An Adventure

A couple weeks ago I decided to take the kids for a walk. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful afternoon! 
However only a couple blocks away, the wind picked up and I saw dark, billowy clouds moving in quickly though they were still far away. 
"We better head back, kids. It looks like it's going to storm." 

"Ah man! We just started!"
"Just a few more minutes, mom!" 
"Pleeeeeease mom!" 

I took another look at the clouds... Maybe it will just blow over... Maybe it won't come this far...

"Ok just a few more minutes"

We walked onto the kids' favorite woodsy area so they could climb trees and look for cool sticks. 

The wind kept pushing clouds closer, faster and faster. And before we knew it, we were in a down pour. The girls started screaming and racing around looking for better cover. I tried to get Henry back into the stroller and pull the rain cover up and over, but he was scared and wanted me to hold him. 

Quickly the woods turned into a squishy, muddy hole with the trees not providing much cover from the rain shower.

What to do? 
Even if we ran the whole way, we would be drenched and Henry wouldn't go in the stroller so I would have to carry him. 
We couldn't stay because we were already getting drenched and the kids were getting cold and muddier by the second. Henry had mud all the way up both legs and the girls weren't much cleaner. 

I called Justin hoping he hadn't silenced his phone when he laid down for a nap. 

When he picked up, he didn't give me a chance to say anything. "I'm on my way. Just around the corner."

My hero had been awakened by the sound of the rain, and checked my location on the iPad, and jumped in the van to come rescue us. 

We were all covered in mud and dripping wet, but it had been a fun adventure nonetheless. The best days end with the most dirt, right? 

1 comment:

marcie said...

You've got a good one!!! Sounds like a very memorable experience. :) Love you lots!