Sunday, January 23, 2011

I'll Never Buy Crackers Again! I Can Make My Own

Fact 1: I really like crackers
Fact 2: I do not like paying for crackers

As some of you may have noticed, I really like allrecipes.com. I found this wonderful little recipe last night:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wheat-Crackers/Detail.aspx
It is soooooooo easy and doesn't take too long if you use big cookie sheets. Also, we rolled ours out as thin as we could. Almost paper thin.

Wheat Crackers
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
salt for sprinkling

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Pour in the vegetable oil and water; mix until just blended.
  3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough as thin as possible - no thicker than 1/8 inch. Place dough on an ungreased baking sheet, and mark squares out with a knife, but don't cut through. Prick each cracker with a fork a few times, and sprinkle with salt.
  4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until crisp and light brown. Baking time may be different depending on how thin your crackers are. When cool, remove from baking sheet, and separate into individual crackers.
Okay, lots of the comments posted about this recipe said they added spices and such, and we tried garlic and italian seasoning. That tasted great. Justin also mixed in some parmesan for part of the batch, and those were really good. But this recipe is also great AS IS. So give it a try and make crackers.

ps a couple people also a
dded a little brown sugar or honey to make the crackers a tad bit sweet and they said it tasted just like wheat thins.

1 comment:

April said...

I just realized I hadn't commented on the earlier post of the girls. I thought I had:). Allrecipes is my go-to site for all things culinary for the past eight or nine years. Love it. I'll have to try this recipe. Maryn and Joshua would be thrilled. Thanks for sharing!