Monday, February 20, 2012

Recyled

I hate things going to waste... I like to use things over and over again. We re-purpose things quite often around here, and I find true joy in getting the full use out of an object. A phrase that was popular during the Great Depression was "Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do or go without." I love that phrase and even though I am the wife of a college student and we live by this now out of necessity, I hope I will always live by this motto my whole life.
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or Go without
Here are some things we have been getting the full use out of:

 I turned an ice cream carton into a remote holder.


 Cans from canned food to hold all the things that come out of Justin's pockets at the end of the day.


 Sweaters to cover ugly flower throw pillows.


A vinyl table cloth makes great placemats...Katie and Grace love these placemats by the way. I let them have a snack in the living room the other day, and both of them before they started eating walked to the kitchen and pulled out their palcemats and put them on the coffee table and then put their snacks on them. I didn't even say anything about getting the placemats out. They just like them so much they like to use them all the time.   
Toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls plus a box made a great castle for Katie's little princesses.


 yes, that's a toilet paper roll we used to make heart stamps...


A friend of mine gave me tons and tons of clothes that she couldn't wear or didn't want any more. Many of them didn't fit me, but I saved quite a few items and made them into clothes for the girls. This is a pair of pants I made for Katie. She loves cupcakes so I added that on for her...she LOVES these pants. Sorry this picture is blurry...Also, from this same pair of pants, I made a bib for a baby shower. Turned out so cute, but I was in a rush and didn't get a picture of it.

Also, not pictured....I use a baby food jar to hold my toothpicks.
Cleaned out pasta sauce jars hold q-tips and floss picks in the bathroom.
Diaper boxes are covered with fabric and hold my linens in the linen closet.
The same sweaters that covered my pillows also supplied some fabric for baby hats I gave to my VTee who just had a baby. 
I use old t-shirts to make Gracie pants and leggings.



2 comments:

The Dennett's said...

You are so resourceful! I especially love the princess castle- very fun!

Ann said...

Great ideas, Jill. I loved the placemats. My boys would love those. It would be a great way to teach how to set the table. I can't throw things away either. Just too much waste. I use diaper boxes as toy boxes or to make skis/snowboards, etc. I also had some plastic egg cartons once instead of the regular ones. I cut the top off and then cut the bottom in half to make two trays of 6 cups each. We use them as paint trays when we do projects. Feel free to share more ideas.