Sunday, May 13, 2012

This is My Mother

 At my wedding
 Mom and I the day I graduated from BYU-Idaho
Granny and Katie the day she was born
Granny and Grace Mothers' Day 2011

"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."
-Abraham Lincoln

I have an angel mother. She is probably the most kind, most giving, most remarkable woman you'll ever meet. No exaggeration. 

The longer I am a mother myself, the more I realize how incredibly blessed I truly am to have her as my mother. A memory has been on my mind this week as Mothers' Day approached.

When I was in junior high, I got this letter in the mail saying that I was picked to be in the "Who's Who in America Junior High Schools" book. My picture and a small blurb was going to printed in the book, and my proud parents could buy this book for only $$$. My mom saw it for what it was, just a company trying to make money off of proud parents, but I was hurt, thinking that this recognition of my achievements didn't matter to her. My mom saw that I was hurt. In her own quiet way she reassured me that she was very proud of me.  A couple weeks later, despite the fact that we had no money, a copy of that ridiculous book showed up in the mail. I felt humbled and grateful. I realized then I didn't want the book at all-I had just wanted a physical confirmation that my mom was proud of me. I don't even know where that dumb book is now, but that book symbolizes so much to me-my mom's willingness to do whatever she could to show her support, love, and confidence in me. My feelings mattered much more to her than money.










3 comments:

Ann said...

Aren't we lucky to have such a mother? If I end up half has good as her, then that will be quite an accomplishment for me.

Abe said...

I wish we all appreciated our moms more when we still lived with them! What a nice post, and Jill YOU KEEP MOVING FARTHER AWAY FROM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding (sort of:)) anyways we are sooo happy for you guys! And the place looks beautiful!

Abe said...

p.s that was Kayla, not Abe!