Thursday, January 17, 2013

Curry Recipe

I get asked for this recipe alot. I don't ind handing it out because it is seriously one of our most favorite dishes. We love to go out to eat at Thai Restaurants, and we always order mussamun curry. SO here you go. THis recipe I got from a friend who got it from someone else so I don't know who to credit. I put my modifications in parenthesis. 

Mussamun Curry
3 cups unsweetened coconut milk (I used two cans of light coconut milk, but the reg coconut milk is more flavorful and has better texture)
1/4 cup mussamun curry paste (I used Thai Kitchen's Red Curry Paste)
1 pound boneless chicken thighs or breast, or 8 chicken legs (I always use two frozen chicken breast, thawed and cut in thin strips)

2 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth (I just use one 14 oz. can)
3 tablespoons fish sauce (next time I will only do 2 TBSP) even if you don't like fish (I hate fish), don't leave this out. It just adds a little something to it, and it is good.
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in big, bite-sized chunks (I use big potatoes)
2-3 carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces 
1 large onion, quartered lengthwise and cut in large chunks (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon palm sugar or brown sugar (I ended up adding about 1/4 cup because we like ours sweeter)
1 teaspoon salt

1 cup dry-roasted salted peanuts (I just use the cheapest party peanuts at Walmart)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice 


Slice chicken crosswise into very thin, 2-inch strips. Set meat aside.

In a medium saucepan or heavy skillet, bring 1 cup of the coconut milk to a gentle boil over medium-high heat.  
Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant and beginning to thicken.  Add the curry paste and cook 2 to 3 minutes, pressing and stirring to dissolve it into the coconut milk. 
Add the meat and cook 2 minutes more, tossing to coat it with the sauce.

Add the remaining 2 cups coconut milk, the chicken broth, potatoes, onion, fish sauce, palm sugar, and salt and bring to a gentle boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.  Stir in the peanuts and lime juice, transfer to a serving bowl, and serve hot or warm.

(My advice is that when is says to reduce heat and simmer, make sure that you still see it boiling or else it will take the potatoes forever to cook.  Test a potato once in awhile so you make sure not to cook them too long because then they turn mushy.  I also suggest cooking 4 cups of rice or more to go with this much curry. I would say it can serve 6 adults.

No comments: