Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Find Joy in the Journey Now



Katie turned one month old yesterday. It seems like she's been with us forever, and at the same time, it feels like the time has flown by. We love this little girl. She brings us so much joy. we get the biggest kicks out of her little looks and gestures. I feel so blessed to have such a sweet little baby. I love snuggling her the best. My favorite moments with her are the moments when she is falling asleep, but is fighting to stay awake, staring at me through her big droopy eyes.
At first the sleepless nights were so hard for me. I found myself looking forward or maybe it was more like longing to being able to sleep at least four or five hours at time at night. Then about a week ago I was talking to the advisor I had when I worked for the Student Honor Office on campus. He was telling me about how his wife had a hard time adjusting to their first child, but then he told me that she had said that with each of her children (I think they have five), her favorite time with them was in the first six months because she got so much time with them...up all day and night feeding, changing, and rocking them. She said once they got mobile and started sleeping through the night, she didn't get as much time with them.
What Bro. Lehman told me about his wife reminded me of Pres. Monson's talk when he said "Find joy in the journey now." So now when I catch myself wishing for the nights I can sleep a little longer at a time, or when I find myself getting overwhelmed because I can't put Katie down long enough to get my house somewhat clean, I think "I only have these few months to cuddle her before she crawls away from me," and then I settle down for a nice, long snuggly nap with her on the couch.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Jill! Sounds like things are going well for you! I hope you can get sleep when you can and that you continue to enjoy every moment with your little girl! She is so cute!

April said...

Some good thoughts, Jill. Thanks for sharing!