Wednesday, March 11, 2009

4 months old

Katie turned four months old on Monday. I can't believe it's already been four months. She is getting big, that's for sure. At her four month check up on Monday she weighed 17.6 lbs. and measured 26.5 inches. That puts her in the 99% for both height and weight. She's been in her 6-9 month clothes for a couple weeks, and she's now outgrowing her car seat. i don't knw what we're going to do about that because new ones are so expensive, and the infant ones fit in the grocery carts and she's not sitting on her own yet so I can't just plop her in the cart.

I am so grateful that she is a healthy and happy baby. And I love being a mom. Just recently in our old ward a couple lost their baby at 24 weeks and another couple miscarried at 14 weeks. So sad. I was so sad to hear of their losses, and hearing about them made me realize how much I take for granted. I love my little family so much, and I am so grateful for them.

Katie discovered books this week. We think it's great since Justin and I both love books, and it's a way to keep her reverent at church. here's a video of her doing tummy time/reading.


As wonderful as being a mom is, sometimes I struggle. I can't get Katie to sleep on her own. Whether it's a nap or bedtime she won't sleep for more than twenty minutes unless I hold her. For those seasoned mom's out there what do I do? Maybe I should read parenting books or look online, but I just don't want to use my extra time doing it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely know how you feel, Lex was the same way. She also got in the habit of sleeping with me too. I had this book that I read and tried and seemed pretty good. Its called the "the no-cry sleep solution" and I have it, if you are interested. But the other thing I would was bathe Lex and even Tyse with the lights kinda low, take her in her dark room, dress her in her PJs, read her a story and lay her in her crib and then rest my hand on her til she fell asleep. Then gradually I would lighten my hand and stay further away each time. Its time consuming, but it worked where all I had to do was just lay her down. Its tough, but it does get better!

Scott said...

I read (and reread when I had Nate) a book called "Babywise". It has made sleeptime incredibly smooth. I totally reccomend it! If you decide to try it, it will take a little more time to get Katie used to it since she's older, but I promise, it's worth it. Just a testimonial, I put both boys down to sleep in thier beds awake and they fall asleep on thier own.

Good luck!

Marcie said...

She's definately your baby, she loves to read! I LOVE her chubby little legs! :) I'm not a "seasoned" mom exactly, but here are my two cents.. :)I'm a huge fan of bedtime routines, Audrey always sleeps better when she has a bath also. It definately does take time though! It's so individual what you come up with, I took bits and pieces from lots of different "solutions" and over time came up with what works for us. There's not really a one size fits all ya know? So hang in there and take baby steps! You'll do great, trust your mommy insticts!

April said...

Okay, so your blog music just happened to start at the same time I pushed the play button on the video and it looked like you had synchronized the video to the music:)
Well....from a "seasoned" mother, I've recently dubbed our home Las Vegas because we're up 24 hours a day, and the funny thing is--I don't care--I guess that's where the "seasoned" mom brain comes out. Maryn's in a phase, and Joshua always manages to have a burp or two from his last meals that wake him up here and there. Having said that, we've always had routines, but some babies just don't like to sleep long hours (naps). My philosophy these days is by the time they go to college they'll be walking, and potty-trained, and sleeping through the night. Not very helpful, I know, but when their systems settle in AND it's before their 18th birthday, it seems so glorious:) Not very helpful, I know. Chalk it up to "partying in Vegas" all last night:)