Friday, July 20, 2012

A Quick Catch Up

 Our 4th of July Festivities!
A parade of course!  Justin doesn’t care much for parades, but he humors me, and every year we go to one for Independence Day. I love parades.  To me there is something irreplaceable about all different people gathering together to celebrate our freedom, and I am always so moved when everyone stands with hand over heart as the flag goes by.






Flag Cake!  I have to have a flag cake for the 4th of July.  I have been trying to avoid food coloring (especially red) over the last year, so this year we opted for a cheesecake with strawberries and blueberries…I think we’ll have to make a repeat of this cake next year! Katie and Grace got to put the berries on themselves so they were pretty happy.

  
Fireworks!  My kids are pretty much terrified of the big firework shows.  Heck, they are scared of the ones the neighbors set off. (Notice Katie's hearing protection, and Grace didn't last in that chair for more than 30 sec. She was in my lap the rest of the time.) So we opted for our own little show at home this year.  It pretty much consisted of ground flowers, snakes, snaps, and a few noiseless fountains.  They were pleased.  We put them to bed, and then we tried to watch what we could from our yard. 

2 comments:

The Brunson Family said...

We always make the flag cheesecake, and my girls love to put the berries on too! Man every time I see Katie I am shocked at how much older she looks!

Ann said...

It looks like you enjoyed a festive Fourth. I know what you mean about parades. I feel the same way. I can't get over your adorable girls. I wish we lived closer. We'll have to Skype soon. Did you make the girls dresses?