Friday, July 27, 2012

Pregnancy Confessions

(self-portrait of Katie)

Let me confess that I am not one of those women who loves being pregnant. I don't like getting big. I don't like being emotional. I don't like throwing up and cringing at the sight-the smell-the thought of food.  With that being said, I am having such a better pregnancy this time around.


I think there are several reasons. When I was pregnant with Katie, I didn't know what to expect, and I didn't like the uncertainty of everything. When I was pregnant with Grace, I knew we were moving at the same time I was going to have her. I was so stressed about moving to another state and Justin starting graduate school.


This pregnancy, we're not moving anywhere (already did that). And I've already had two babies so I'm not too worried about anything. And so I get to enjoy preparing for baby. But there's not a whole lot of prep to do. I mean, I already have the clothes and blankets, and everything a little baby girl will need besides diapers. I guess there is one thing that I will be making. I discovered with Grace that bibs come in very handy even when they are newborns. THey spit up ALL. THE. TIME. and I'd rather change a bib than the whole outfit. Plus I really enjoy making bibs. I make them out of scrap t-shirts that were headed for Goodwill and they don't cost me anything.


One thing that has been a drawback to this pregnancy, is the cravings. About once a week I get a craving for something that is not good for me and I am pretty sure I am going to DIE if I don't get some of whatever it is...like Reese's peanut butter cups with the cookie in the bottom...Did you know they do not make them anymore? PREGNANT WOMAN"S WORST NIGHTMARE> they don't make the one thing she is craving more than anything else. SO I was left to my own devices...well, actually Justin's...and we had homemade chocolate peanut butter bars with an improvised cookie crust. Craving satisfied....weight gained.


Usually about the time I start having to wear maternity clothes, I start thinking "can I be done yet?" when I really have three whole stinking months left! This pregnancy is not this way. I think about the midnight feedings and diaper changes. I think about juggling two other children while trying to nurse. And then I think about having to give up peanut butter. and oats. and dairy. and I think "Boy, I am lucky I still have 3 months to go!"


Not that I am not excited for this baby. I am. I find myself day dreaming about snuggling a softie, and watching for the first little smiles, and counting perfect little toes...(Did I ever mention Gracie has webbed toes? But they are still perfect. In fact, I think they are adorable!) But all in good time. all in good time. I am happy to have the time now to prepare and stock up on ideas to keep little ones busy, and make bibs, and finally get pictures up on my walls.


Katie took this picture. She set up the camp chair and made Gracie climb on it and pose. She fancies herself a photographer. I need to keep the camera up higher. Don't you just love Gracie's bed head?










2 comments:

The Dennett's said...

I just love how honest you are! I didn't particularly enjoy being pregnant either time, but I think the 3rd time will be better... for lots of reasons...

I heard the transition from 2 to 3 was not as bad as 1 to 2. That's just what I heard...I mean what do I know? But I sincerely hope it's true.

you're awesome, Jill! can't wait to see pictures of your third beautiful girl.

Ann said...

Let's just say, "I'm glad it's you and not me." I'm very excited for you and we all love the children that bless our lives, but I don't miss being pregnant for one minute.
Bibs are wonderful. They were a lifesaver with Grant. There is no substitute when you have pukey kids. For the first few months, in addition to the bib, I would drape a dish towel under Grant's chin. That helped a lot.
Three is crazy, but you learn to manage. But I honestly don't know how people manage more than three. I don't intend to find out any time soon.
I can't believe how big Gracie is. What a darling. And I love the bedhead. I just adore kids with bedhead.