Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Going Dairy Free

I have fussy babies. They don't sleep for more than twenty minutes unless being held and they puke lots and lots....and cry for long periods of time until they get so tired they finally crash and sleep for twenty minutes and then the cycle starts over. Fun right?

Well, when Katie was a baby I asked her pediatrician if this whole distress could be from a food intolerance since Justin had food issues when he was a baby. He said no, she just had reflux, elevate her mattress yatta yatta yatta. So I went home feeling like he only thought I was a first timer mom and didn't know how to take care of a baby. Well, Katie stayed fussy and high maintenance even with treating the reflux.

Now, I have Grace who is trying her hardest to be a happy baby. She was having "issues" as I call it, and so I decided to go off of dairy. It took two or three weeks and things got better. Rarely did she get gas pains and she stopped spitting up as much. And I didn't have to hold her for her to sleep. yay....so to make sure it was dairy, this weekend I ate a few things with cheese, milk, etc. and lo and behold I have an inconsolable baby again. So I guess for the next 9 1/2 months, I will be dairy free.

So the journey begins. I've embarked on the journey of reading all food labels and making a lot of things from scratch. I've discovered that Almond milk isn't that bad...not that I would just drink it, but it's okay baked in things. Also, I found out there are some things that don't have milk in them that I thought did. Like oreos and some frostings. And some things that I would never guess would have milk in them do...like taco seasoning and my favorite syrup. Go figure.

Anyone have some great dairy free recipes?

4 comments:

The Dennett's said...

I wish I could help ya out with dairy free recipes :/ but I have to agree that almond milk is delicious! I would actually prefer to drink that or soymilk any day over regular milk if I could afford it! I think its awesome that you are sacrificing dairy for your little Grace. what a good mom!!

April said...

It's hard to have miserable babies:(
Good luck, Jill, with going dairy free. That would just about kill me, but it's incredible what we moms are willing to sacrifice for our little ones. Hang in there!

Veronica said...

I am on the SAME diet! It is amazing what you can and can't eat going off dairy. I know what you mean about the fussy baby, and Calvin was the same way. I have a few recipes I can send you, what is your email address?

We have a really good Wacky cake recipe, and one for cookies. If you need to find a good dressing for salads, the Brianna is good, and Target has it for cheap (or cheaper than most places).

Let me know if you have any questions or just need some support. It is hardest when you eat anywhere besides home. Good Luck your baby will really appreciate you!

p.s. if you want you can just email me at veronciasnapp@gmail.com

Ann said...

Sounds like you've nailed down the culprit. As one who has been there and is anticipating being there shortly, I sympathize with you. At least you don't have to give up soy too. That makes it so much harder to find things to eat. I will compile a list of recipes of some of the things we used to eat on that terrible dairy free diet. But you can do it and there are some benefits too. Feel free to call anytime.