Saturday, November 13, 2010

Rethinking Food

We are under going a food revolution in our family. Justin and I want to get back into shape and stay in shape so that we can do fun things when we're older like serve missions and visit grandchildren. I visited the cdc.gov website for ideas on how to lose weight and keep it off, and I found this super cool menu planner. It is awesome. You enter in your weight and height and your activity level (and it takes into account if you're pregnant or breastfeeding) and it figures out how many ounces, cups, etc of each food category you should be consuming each day. Then it has this cool menu planner where you can plan meals for the week and it charts if you've reached your quota of each food category or if you've gone over. It is so cool. Have I said that already? And the best part is......It's Free to use. Love it.
here's the link:
http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/planner/launchPage.aspx

What are some low fat meals that you make for dinner? What are some ways you cut calories?

Okay, other food issues. Like most toddlers, Katie is a picky eater. I am tired of feeding her something different from what Justin and I are eating for dinner. Right now I am trying to just put a little of whatever we're eating on her plate and she has to take at least one bite. I don't know if this will help get her to expand her tastes. What do any of you do to encourage your children to not be picky eaters...or what did your parents do? Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Ann said...

Way to go, Jill. I don't know that I'm motivated enough to measure out my food or count calories. But I am thinking of making some changes myself. As for getting to get my kids to eat what we eat, it sounds like we are in the same boat. Funny thing is, Andrew will try more things than Cole will. Let me know if you find any good answers.

Marcie said...

I remember my Mom telling me when Audrey was starting on foods that it takes on average twelve exposures to a new food for a child to develop a taste/desire for it. So it sounds like just tasting it is a great way to do that. Brock and I were also talking the other day about how to this day neither of us will eat the one food that we were force fed in childhood, isn't that funny? And way to go you health major you! :)

Scott said...

I wish I could help. I guess one perk of having rowdy boys is that they also eat EVERYTHING in sight! I've never had a problem getting them to eat. Does she dislike a certain category of food? Is it possible she might have an allergy or something?

Also, here is another awesome, free website you might want to check out. I use it when I'm on top of things. :) sparkpeople.com