Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Hospital Bag

As my due date approaches, I've been thinking what to take in my hospital bag...I'm not quite ready to pack it, but being on a budget, I'd like to start making a few purchases here and there so I can have what I need when it is time to pack it.
My whole life I've known that women going to the hospital to have a baby usually take a bag with them. However, past this idea, I've never given much thought to what goes into the hospital bag. I've seen several lists online and given several from my childbirth classes, but I'm wondering what exactly will be needed or wanted. So far this is what I have come up with:
  • change of clothes (probably smaller maternity ones since I won't be back to normal size yet)
  • socks: I hear your feet get cold, and I hate having bare feet
  • hair ties and bobby pins. I hate having hair in my face or on my neck
  • toothbrush and toothpaste other toiletries
  • nursing pads
  • comfy pajamas in case I get to change out of a hospital gown
  • clothes and blanket for baby
  • snacks for Justin
  • snacks for me (I know I can't eat during labor, but I can eat as much as I want afterwards)
  • gum
  • camera/batteries

For those experienced mothers out there, is this a good list? What have you found helpful during your stay at the hospital?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bring different sizes of baby clothes - Lex was too tiny for hers (I had to buy preemie clothes to take her home in) and Tyse had to squeeze into his. LOL. It sounds crazy, but bring a book or something incase you end up having to stay in there for a couple of days, it can get to be long days and a little relaxing is a good thing.

April said...

Your list looks good. I'd recommend some kind of lip balm and lotion. At least those are two things that I go crazy without.

Ann said...

Definitely snacks. I was always hungry, especially when I was up all night feeding Andrew. The hospital only gave me graham crackers and apple juice (I had lots of it, but it would have been nice for a little variation), and Dan was at home with Cole a lot so he couldn't even run for some for me.